Apollo Music Projects is looking for a Trustee to join our Board of Trustees.
This is a wonderful opportunity to join the board of a dynamic and successful organisation.
“Apollo is a national treasure" – Sir Simon Rattle
We are looking for a Trustee to join our Board of Trustees.
The role requires a strong understanding of charity governance. Prior board experience is desirable, ideally in the Arts or education sectors.
The Trustees are responsible for the governance of the charity, and this is something that is of the greatest importance to Apollo Music Projects. The charity has a strong executive team of a CEO/Founder and three part-time staff, who are delegated by the board to run the charity’s operations and supported by the trustees.
The Board of Trustees takes on the ultimate legal and financial responsibility for all the activities of the organisation. They maintain an overview of policy and strategic direction rather than being involved in day-to-day operations. The role of the Board of Trustees is summarised below.
Vision and Leadership
- To be committed to the vision, mission and values of the organisation.
- To provide strategic direction, including agreeing and monitoring strategic plans.
- To ensure the work of the organisation is monitored and evaluated.
Accountability & Legal Responsibilities
- To ensure the organisation complies with its governing document (memorandum and articles of association).
- To ensure the organisation follows charity and company law.
- To ensure the organisation makes efficient use of resources, in particular that all funds are applied to its objects, agreed plans and budgets.
- To ensure that risks to the organisation, staff, volunteers and service users are at an acceptable level and are effectively managed.
- To be accountable to funders and other stakeholders.
Financial & Staff Management
- To effectively support the CEO who is the organisational leader, while the board leads on governance.
- To understand the financial position of the organisation.
- To ensure the organisation's finances are properly managed.
- To ensure the organisation operates within its agreed accounting policies.
- To ensure adequate financial resources for the organisation.
- To contribute to fundraising strategies.
- To ensure the organisation is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities.
- To ensure the organisation is a responsible employer and adheres to legislation.
We are looking for someone with:
- A clear understanding of and ommitment to the values and objectives of Apollo Music Projects
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a team whilst contributing an independent perspective
- An understanding of the values of accountability, openness and honesty
- The ability to think strategically and challenge constructively
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship as well of the respective roles of the chair, trustees and executive management, in particular an understanding that the board leads on governance while the CEO leads on operations with the support of the board.
- Knowledge of governance and a desire to gain further knowledge and follow best practice at all times.
- A willingness to participate in governance review.
- Ability to respect confidences.
- Good time-keeping.
General responsibilities will include:
- Providing guidance and oversight to ensure that Apollo Music Projects develops the structure and financial sustainability to deliver on its objectives.
- Participating in approving strategy and evaluating performance.
- Acing as ambassador for Apollo Music Projects.
- Ensuring that Apollo Music Projects complies with charity law.
- The new trustees will have a vital role to play in helping ensure that we can bring more music to more children each year, and to broaden the reach of the organisation while keeping the close-knit framework we currently have.
- Supporting the CEO in successfully managing the organisation.
The Trustee will have a vital role to play as the organisation develops over the next few years. In order to meet our goals of bringing music to more children each year we need to ensure that the organisation is well managed and that we can plan ahead with confidence.
We have a strong staff team, and you can bring added value to the organisation, supporting the staff and board to navigate the current challenging times, while planning for a successful future.
This is a chance for you to help Apollo Music Projects make a real difference to children in primary and special schools in deprived areas.
“I cannot say enough wonderful things about Apollo Music! The children were in awe every time the guys came in and played for us. For almost all of them, it was their first introduction to classical music never mind seeing instruments like that played live. They adored it! Every single one of them completely engaged. The children were asking so many questions and so inspired. I cannot thank you enough. I do hope you continue and look forward to seeing you all again.” Teacher, St Dominic’s Catholic Primary School, Hackney
The Trustee will be expected to attend four Trustee meetings each year, held in London, and to attend occasional events, workshops and concerts
Candidates will be interviewed by a small panel, with the possibility of several short interviews online and in person
Apollo Music Projects is keen to ensure that the Board is representative of the community we serve and particularly welcomes applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds.
How to apply
Please click the 'Apply for this job now' button to submit a letter of application and a cv. We are happy to provide further information about the role or the charity's work.
The role will remain open until we have found the right candidate.
We are also looking for a Treasurer and Chair of Trustees.
Further information about the charity www.apollomusicprojects.org