- Job Reference: HKTKX2208/GW-HL-CC
- Date posted: 12 July 2019
- Recruiter: National Institute of Economic and Social Research
- Location: London
- Salary: On Application
- Bonus/benefits: The post is not remunerated
- Sector: Education/Training, Environment & Conservation
- Job type: Contract
- Work hours: Part Time
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL RESEARCH
The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) is one of Britain’s most influential and prestigious independent research centres and in 2018 celebrated its 80th anniversary. We specialise in applied economic and social research, combining rigorous academic standards with influence on policy formation. Our objective is to promote, through quantitative and qualitative research, a deeper understanding of the interaction of economic and social forces that affect people’s lives and the ways in which policy can improve them. We have no political affiliation and receive no core funding from government.
The Institute is a UK registered charity and company limited by guarantee. It is governed by a Council of Management, operating as a Board of Trustees, who are collectively responsible for driving the overall strategy of the Institute. The Board consists of senior representatives from policy-making, business and academia and is chaired by Professor Diane Coyle OBE.
We are seeking to appoint up to three Trustees to the Council of Management to help develop our strategic plan and scrutinise and challenge the executive to ensure the Institute can thrive. Applications are welcome from candidates with experience in any area of the Institute’s operations, but particularly from those with proven skills and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Contemporary social policy issues
- Enhancing the impact of research, including the commercial exploitation of research expertise
- Fund raising, income generation or sponsorship building
- Senior level experience the UK higher education system
- Macroeconomic modelling and forecasting
- To ensure the Institute complies with its governing documents and legislation and pursues its stated objectives
- To contribute actively to strategic direction and policy setting, defining objectives and targets, and monitoring and evaluating performance against them
- To monitor the effective and efficient management and administration of the Institute
- To ensure the financial stability and solvency of the Institute
- To use any specific skill, knowledge or experience to assist the trustees to reach sound decisions
- To act as an ambassador for the Institute
The Council of Management meets quarterly at our Westminster office, with Trustees additionally expected to serve on a sub-committee which meet up to four times per year. Meetings usually last approximately two hours. Trustees are expected to devote sufficient time to ensure satisfactory discharge of their responsibilities and to actively contribute to the Council and engage with the Institute, advocating our work, supporting our management team and attending events as appropriate.
The post is not remunerated, but all expenses are reimbursed up to the Institute’s expenses limits.
Appointments are for 4 years, usually renewable once.
To find out how to be considered for this position, please select the apply button shown, which will bring you to our website. The deadline for applications is 2nd September 2019, with interviews expected to be held the following week.
For any further information or to arrange an informal, confidential discussion, please contact the Director of the Institute, Jagjit Chadha, or Chief Operating officer, John Kirkland.
We welcome applications regardless of race, nationality, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability, or age. Applicants must not be disqualified from acting as a Trustee or company director.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Trustee, Board Member, Charity Trustee, Trust Member, Charitable Trustee, Board Director, Trust Director, Research Director, Fundraising Director, Policy Advisor, Charity Director.