- Are you interested in social change?
- Would you like to play a strategic and advisory role in a leading research charity?
- Could you bring diversity, life experience, a passion for the voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector?
What we do
We are an independent research charity that works closely with people and organisations that are striving for social change. From very small, grassroots organisations that directly support the most vulnerable in their local communities, to those that work nationally – across the voluntary, public and funding sectors.
We use research to support and strengthen practice – developing practical responses to challenges and providing the evidence and insights needed to adapt to change and make informed and confident decisions.
Our research is firmly rooted in practice and never sits on the shelf. We make sure that everything we produce is useful and usable, and we create opportunities to share our learning far and wide through events and online resources.
Being a trustee at IVAR
We are encouraging a wide range of people to come forward: your background, life experience, approach and values are more important than any knowledge or experience of research, or of being a trustee elsewhere. So, please don’t let a lack of experience of being a trustee put you off applying; we can support and train people in the skills required. Far more important to us is who you are and what you bring in terms of your relationship with, or knowledge about, the people and issues that IVAR cares most about – that is, people and organisations committed to fairness, equity and justice. What follows should give you an idea of the kinds of responsibilities you can expect to be engaged with, alongside your fellow trustees and with the support of the staff team.
Main purpose of the role
As a member of the Board of Trustees you will be responsible for setting IVAR’s strategic aims, objectives and direction. You will use your knowledge, skills and experience to ensure IVAR achieves its charitable objectives, represents the interests of all its stakeholders and act as an advocate for IVAR.
With the support of the staff team and professional advisers, trustees at IVAR are expected to:
- Set and maintain the vision, mission and values.
- Ensure IVAR complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Maintain proper financial control and ensure IVAR applies its resources exclusively in pursuit of its objectives, as defined in the governing documents.
- Ensure accountability.
- Support the operational management of the charity.
You may wish to review the statutory duties of a trustee. In addition to these, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or other issues in which you have particular expertise.
The board is looking to appoint up to four trustees and will be seeking a blend of skills and expertise that complement the current make-up of the board. In particular, we want to build a diverse board that reflects the communities we work with and support across the UK; we are especially keen to appoint trustees who are black or people of colour.
We hope that each of the new trustees will have:
- Affinity with IVAR’s charitable objects and current priorities, including the role and contribution of research
- Emotional intelligence
- Exceptional listening skills, with an ability to speak your mind
While we welcome applications from all, based on a recent audit of our current board we are particularly hoping to find people with:
- An understanding of the context and challenges facing the UK voluntary sector and, specifically, direct experience of leadership of small to medium VCSE organisations
- Strong networks with VCSE organisations, their funders and/or public agencies
- Communications expertise
If you feel that we are describing you in any of the above, then we’d love to hear from you.