The Active Sussex Board are currently looking to appoint four Independent Trustees to the Board of Trustees.
Positions are non-executive and not salaried. Out of pocket expenses will be paid where appropriate.
Favourable skill sets
Following a recent skills audit of the Board, applications from candidates are favoured with significant backgrounds in:
- Financial Audit
- Human Resources
- Commercial skills, processes, and capability
- Promotion and brand growth
Active Sussex aspires to have a diverse group of trustees who are representative of our local community, so please don’t be put off if you’ve never been a trustee before. We are actively seeking new voices and can provide training and support to help you excel as a trustee.
Active Sussex is fully committed to the principles of equality of opportunity and actively champions diversity with our partners. However, this also starts with us!
We have already adopted a target of maintaining a minimum of 30% of each gender on the board, to progress towards achieving gender parity. Applications are particularly welcomed from people with a disability and/or long term condition, and ethnically diverse communities, as they are currently underrepresented within the Active Sussex board. We are keen to work with applicants and make adjustments where needed (perhaps due to a disability or sensory impairment), to make it easier to become a trustee, so please get in touch in this instance.
We are also mindful that less than 3% of charity trustees are under 30 and as such are missing young people’s perspectives, therefore we are keen to ensure young people are also represented on our board.
Role description and personal specification
To effectively carry out their role, the Independent Trustee will:
- Advocate for sport and physical activity in Sussex
- Champion Active Sussex within their own sector and its networks
- Promote the Active Sussex vision for sport and physical activity in Sussex
- Provide a two-way network of communication between partners within their own sector, its associated networks and Active Sussex
- Contribute to effective board performance and management
- Set strategic goals within the business plan and ensure that effective monitoring is in place to evaluate progress
The Independent Trustee will have the following attributes or experience:
- Will be committed to the Partnership
- Will be willing to devote the necessary time and effort
- Has strategic vision
- Possesses good, independent judgment
- Has a strict sense of confidentiality
- Has the ability to think creatively
- Will be willing to speak their mind
- Hasan understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Has the ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Has an understanding of Nolan's seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Is tactful and diplomatic
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills
- Is impartial, fair and able to respect confidences
These are non-salaried positions. Travel and other reasonable expenses will be reimbursed upon request.
Board of Trustee meetings and Active Sussex events may be held throughout the County, but typically meetings are held at the University of Brighton (Falmer campus). In light of the pandemic, meetings are currently held online.
Trustees are appointed for a period of 3 years and are eligible for reappointment at the end of that term. A maximum of three consecutive terms is permitted.
Find out more
If you share our passion for getting more people physically active, and have the vision, skills, drive and enthusiasm to lead and support the work of the Trust, and would like to know more, then please email Sadie Mason MBE (Active Sussex CEO) or call 07841 717718 (Mon-Wed).
We are also holding a relaxed Q&A opportunity with current trustees on Monday 10 May 5.30-6.30pm. Please book your place here: https://www.activesussex.org/trustee-recruitment-qa-session/
How to Apply
Click the 'Apply for this job now' button to start the recruitment process.
Candidates are invited to answer a short set of questions expressing their rationale and interest for applying, along with how they meet the favourable skill set. We are taking this approach to debiase the recruitment process that can take effect via CV and cover letter submission - find out more. When applying you will also be asked to declare any ‘Conflicts of interest’ in accordance with the organisation’s Conflict of Interest Policy and that you understand the ‘Charity trustee: Declaration of Eligibility and Responsibilities’.
Your personal information will be stored securely, in line with our Candidate Privacy Notice, and only used in order to communicate with you regarding your application.
The role of an Independent Trustee is to provide strategic leadership and be a visible role model for Active Sussex.
They are tasked with supporting the Independent Chair, Vice-Chair, Chief Executive and the Strategic Management Group.
Close date: 23rd May 2021