Trustee – Treasurer
Greenwich Students’ Union (GSU) is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, providing services to students at the University of Greenwich.
We are seeking a new Trustee to join the board with proven financial leadership and financial literacy. As chair the of Finical, Audit and Risk committee you will:
- Ensure financial viability of GSU maintaining strategic oversight of the organisations affairs
- Ensure that GSU maintains robust financial records and procedures
GSU objectives are the advancement of education of students at the university by:-
- promoting the interests and welfare of students at the university during their course of study and representing, supporting and advising students
- providing social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities
- being the recognised representative channel between students and the University
In 2017/18 GSU had an annual turnover of £2.6m. This was made up of annual subvention grant from the University of Greenwich, grants, Social Enterprise revenue through trading and gift-in-kind.
Our services to students operates between Greenwich, Avery Hill and the Medway campus. However, the enterprise and student activities at Medway are ran by Kent Union through a shared partnership called GK Unions.
In September 2018 we moved into the Dreadnought student hub at the heart of the Old Royal Naval College campus opening a new coffee shop – Change Coffee – and 500 capacity venue – Lower Deck. These venues are additional to our convenience store – The Village Shop - at the Avery Hill campus, merchandise and medial sales income. This move has provided GSU with the opportunity to greatly expand it student engagement and services along side driving commercial revenue.
There are approximately 20,000 students at the University of Greenwich which has dropped from over 25,000 5 years ago. Additionally, 80% of students are commuting each day to campus and teaching is spread across 3 campus. This has impacted our capacity for growth from commercial services, however the success of GSU to generate money through commercial revenue is a strategic priority as any profit made, we are able to invest back into providing services to students. We are looking for a trustee to join the Board to provide strategic oversight to our financial practices and ensure we are robust enough to compete in a challenging and changing higher education landscape.
The finance team is led by the Head of Finance and Compliance, a Finance Manager and 2 Finance Coordinators. Payroll is managed in house.
- Chair the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee of the Trustee Board and act as a full voting member of the charity Board of Trustees
- Ensure that GSU complies with its governing documents, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document and complies with the Education Act 1994 as a Students’ Union
- Ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation including annual budget, annual audit and monthly management accounts
- Ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- Protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity's funds
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the good name and values of GSU
- Meet with the Chair of the Board, Head of Finance and Compliance, Chief Executive and other staff regularly providing strategic financial oversight
- Guide fellow Trustees in apprising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies
- Finance qualification
- Experience of chairing at committee level would be desirable
- Experience of providing financial strategic vision and oversight
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management (as necessary)
- Commitment to the values of GSU – Courageous, Trusted, Empowering, Dedicated and Approachable
- Experience of financial audit processes
For Trustees GSU provide Directors Liability insurance
The Trustee Board meeting five times a year – November, January, March, May and July and the
Finance, Audit and Risk Committee meet 10 – 14 days prior to the board
The Board of Trustees has four external trustees including the Chair, 1 University appointed trustee, 4 elected student trustees and four appointed student trustees.
As a trustee you can service for two x four year terms