Amref Health Africa is Africa’s leading health charity. Our work starts with women and girls, to secure the right to health and break the cycle of poverty. Headquartered in Nairobi, we are a truly African organisation, partnering with communities across the continent to create lasting change.
Amref Health Africa UK is one of 11 offices in Europe and North America that raise funds and broker partnerships to support and further our work in Africa. Based in Islington, London, we are a passionate, committed, enthusiastic team. We have a diverse portfolio of income streams generating around £4 million each year.
As Amref Health Africa UK starts developing its new strategy during 2019, this is a pivotal moment for the new Chief Executive to play their part in Amref’s growth.
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
The closing date is: Monday April 22nd 2019
Interviews are scheduled for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 8th May 2019
About the role:
Under the strategic guidance of the Chair of the Board of Trustees and reporting to him as line manager, working closely with rest of the Board, the UK management team and with staff in headquarters in Nairobi and across the Amref network, the Chief Executive is the most senior post in the UK organisation.
With responsibility for delivering the strategy and maintaining income from all donor groups, the Chief Executive will inspire and lead a professional and talented team to achieve their goals ensuring high quality delivery and impact, and mitigating against risks, within a values-driven culture.
The Chief Executive also holds responsibility for maintaining and developing Amref UK’s strategic role within the wider Amref network, comprising Amref’s Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, regional and country offices across Africa and national offices across Europe and North America. As Chief Executive you will line manage the following staff: Head of Finance, Head of Fundraising, Head of Operations, Communications Manager, GSK Partnership Global Account Manager, Executive Assistant.
- Proven ability to build high performing teams through a commitment to delegation and empowerment, clarity of individual responsibilities and their related areas of personal or collective accountability
- Personal integrity and management experience to create a leadership culture of trust, openness and accountability for performance
- Sensitive to internal workings of a multi-national organisation and ability to navigate the internal international structures to the benefit of project delivery and the interests of the UK office
- Demonstrable commitment to consultative leadership and collaborative working
- A sound understanding of budgeting and financial management, ideally gained within the charity sector
- Proven experience of meeting the regulatory and compliance requirements of an organisation of this type, including those issued by the Charity Commission, Information Commissioner, Fundraising Regulator and UK government
- Ability and presence to represent the organisation to national and international stakeholders
- Outstanding communication and advocacy skills to influence at the highest levels and engage with diverse audiences and media
- Ability to articulate Amref Health Africa’s core strengths to existing and potential donors in a way that is both compelling and clear to build strong and productive relationships with major donors, corporates, foundations and institutional donors
- Passionate about improving the health of people in Africa and championing the rights of women and girls
- Sophisticated understanding of international development with a deep commitment to seeing Amref Health Africa thrive as an African-led organisation
- Awareness of the particular health issues facing women and children in Africa, and how Amref Health Africa’s work can best improve their lives
The role requires foreign and domestic travel, primarily to sub-Saharan Africa (currently estimated at an average of 10-12 days each quarter).
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Amref Health Africa UK is not able to support visa or work permit applications for this role.
Safeguarding: Amref Health Africa UK believes that everyone we come into contact with, regardless of age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or ethnic origin has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect and exploitation. We will include safeguarding as part of our reference process for the successful candidate.
Amref Health Africa welcomes all applicants and values diversity. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.